|Date Posted||April 14, 2019|
The Assistant Merchant – Paint Coatings is responsible for all aspects of support for a product category, including but not limited to category review support, promotional planning, show prep, retailer communication, SKU on-boarding and maintenance and special projects as assigned.
The position is designed as a support role, as well as development step in all aspects of the buying department to prepare a candidate for full category responsibility as an associate merchant in 2 – 3 years.
What you’ll do
Category Review Support
- Support merchant in all phases of category review process
- Request and prepare all category analytics
- Participate in all aspects of vendor meeting prep, meetings, item selection, plan-o-gram build, marketing and execution to retailers.
Promotional Planning Support
- Support in organizing and securing all vendor marketing assessments
- Assist in solicitation of monthly promotional items from vendors
- Assist with promotional item submission forms, target pricing, correction notices and AD proofing
- Support with daily retailer customer service
- Assist with communication via ACENET to relay new programs, changes or issues
- Assist with Merch CARE to prep Ace Care Center for calls and e-mails related to respective category
Convention Planning Support
- Assist in selecting and inviting vendors to attend semi-annual convention
- Lead prep of show materials including drop ship forms, as well as submission for Power Buys, Saving Showcase and New Arrivals
- Assist in planning merchant area theme and execution for respective category
Inventory/Supply Chain Support
- Assist in diagnosing and resolving vendor service issue
- Assist in inventory planning for promotional items
- Lead SKU on-boarding for department with respective merchandising SYSTEMS coordinator
- Lead processing of department SAP price changes with respective merchandising SYSTEMS coordinator
- Lead all item master data changes with article content team
- Lead department and cross-functional projects as assigned by DMM and merchant
What you need to succeed
Ace Assistant Merchant Competencies
- Product passion – Natural and fanatical curiosity around product and retail marketplace, demonstrated and put into action. Convertible to multiple categories based on changes in responsibilities.
- Strategic thinking – Ability to envision, create and present strategy to drive disruptive wholesale and/or retail growth in category sales and profit
- Results-oriented – Ability to drive results to and above plan with full accountability, proactively shifting efforts as trends and business variables change
- Leadership – Demonstrated and active leadership across the organization, vendors and retailers as authority in respective category. Superior problem solving skills.
- Negotiation skills – Superior negotiation skills with proven results leveraging company scale, business drivers and strategies
- Presentation skills – Ability to plan, assemble and present with excellence strategy, execution and updates to leadership, across the organization, vendors and retailers
Experience and Technical Requirements
- 2+ years of business experience
- Retail experience preferred
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Understand financial measures that impacts corporation
- Demonstrate strong decision making skills
- Highly creative, flexible and adaptable with good follow-through
- Proven ability to multi-task projects and meet deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Power Point,
- Knowledge of PCM, SAP and guided Ad-hoc reporting tools
We want to hear from you!
When most people think of career opportunities with Ace Hardware, they often think of the helpful cashiers and sales associates at their local store. However, have you also considered the people behind the scenes who select, promote, ship and process the invoices for more than 75,000 products? Maybe you haven't, but we'd like you to. Because together we help our customers take care of their homes. Come find out why a career with the Ace Hardware Corporation is one of America's best kept secrets.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ace Hardware Corporation and its subsidiaries are committed to a policy of promoting equal employment opportunities. The company recognizes the importance of diversity and leveraging the skills and talents of all people to the mutual advantage of each individual and the organization. The company is committed to the prevention of employment discrimination related to race, religion, color, sex (including sexual harassment), gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, disability and military discharge, or any other action covered by federal or state laws.